My personal-finance journal and idea clearinghouse.

Friday, November 18, 2005

Kiplinger's Review - December

Kiplinger's for the most part has gone downhill for the past year (plus, the customer service was bad when I set up my subscription), but this issue wasn't as bad as usual. One article in particular was pretty interesting, and I picked up a few other ideas or points to ponder.

- Reader feedback (Nov. 22: Site not functional; will let them know my thoughts by not renewing my subscription)

- Greeting-card stats, two of the more interesting: Adults receive on average 20 cards a year. I'm one of the three in 10 who keeps their cards. Maybe I can pare this down? Is there any reason not to recycle them? (Nov. 22: Will selectively discard)

- Dividend-paying stocks. Worth expanding my investments in this realm? Write to my congressmen to press for extension of the reduced tax on dividends. (Nov. 22: Well, always look for the good dividend payer when looking to buy a stock, but no real need to expand my dividend-paying holdings. Wrote to my congressman just a few moments ago.)

- Escort Radar. Is this worth it? (Nov. 22: Perhaps, particularly if I can find it used. But perhaps I should slow down)

- Bank on thrifts. This strategy has proved lucrative for me, and this offers a few new avenues to pursue. First, for research, the Office of Thrift Supervision. Columbia Bank. Eastern Bank. Third Federal. I should set up a comprehensive plan for these bank stocks, so I don't end up overconcentrated.

- How widespread are Urban Outfitters brands? (Nov. 22: Not extremely, but the multiple is a bit high at the current.)

- Perritt Emerging Opportunities fund. Is it worth it? (Nov. 22: Possibly. Mutual-fund holdings can also be a decent way to glean ideas, particularly in small-cap funds.)

- Enter job contest.