First-Quarter Review
Net asset value for the first period came in at $410,641.81, a 43% increase from the year-earlier total and an 18% increase from the prior quarter.
The increase of $62192.48 from the prior period is mainly attributable to a one-time windfall gift and appreciation in brokerage and retirement accounts.
The broad breakdown is as follows:
- Cash holdings: $65,561.23, up from $49,988.67 a period earlier.
- Stock holdings: $113,000.18, up from $105,179.57 a period earlier.
- Retirement holdings: $199,177.80, up from $160,778.44 a period earlier.
- Personal holdings: $32,902.60, up from $32,502.65 a period earlier.
Despite the solid gains, I am mildly disappointed that I wasn't able to accomplish more during the period. I attribute this to an increased workload and a general lack of focus. The second period should lighten up in terms of workload, so there should be no excuse for losing focus.
Some of the areas where I saw some success this period:
- Got preapproved for mortgage; put in a bid on a house
- Boosted emergency fund
- Shifted safety-deposit box
- Sold three winning stocks
- Reviewed 401(k) holdings and made slight adjustments
- Set up eBay account
- Made donation to alma mater
- Made Roth and SEP-IRA deposits for 2005
- Started taxes

<< Home