My personal-finance journal and idea clearinghouse.

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Fifty-First Week

With the year's final week upon us, I thought I should take a quick minute here to prepare for the house-cleaning, record-keeping, goal-setting that lies ahead. I always love this time of year, for the opportunity it brings to assess and review, but I always feel overwhelmed and disappointed if I don't accomplish everything I wish.

I've made some significant progress in a last-ditch effort to tick off a few more items on my to-do list, and I'll hope to finish what I can before resetting the list and starting anew.

- House matters: We've homed in on an area we like, and I should try to set up a visit before the year ends. It would be too much to think about the money factor just yet, but this will be a top priority in the new year.

- Treasury Direct: I've finally received my invitation, so I should try, at least, to get this started during this final week, if not completed.

- Charitable contribution: One final donation, to something related to Sesame Street.

- Repair Accord: I still wouldn't feel comfortable doing the work myself, but I do have a coupon for Firestone that expires Dec. 31. I should use it before it's worthless.

- Boost life insurance: I've let this goal lag long enough, and now that I have the policy in hand, I should send it in this week.

- Goal-setting and year-end review: I should begin prep work so that I'm not in a last-minute frenzy on New Year's Eve.