My personal-finance journal and idea clearinghouse.

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Year in Review -- 2005

Full-year net asset value came in at $348,449.33, in a conservative estimate.

This figure is nearly $10,000 more than the previous month and an $80,000 increase from last year. This is attributable to three factors: a resumption of two-income generation, increase in value and breadth of stock holdings, and an increase in retirement-account holdings, aided by the increased savings from the second income.

The broad breakdown for 2005 is as follows:
- Cash holdings: $49,988.67, up from $46,046.80 in 2004
- Stock holdings: $105,179.57, up from $79,783.48
- Retirement: $160,778.44, up from $114,940.06
- Personal: $32,502.65, up from $28,563.45

I was able to accomplish many goals during this past year, including:
- Set up life insurance
- Eliminated PMI
- Shifted more stock holdings to Fidelity account; closed Vanguard account
- Inventoried intangible assets (though not accounted for here)
- Did my own taxes (and got rebate)
- Paid down Honda Accord loan
- Got promotion

All in all, it was an exceptional year and I learned a lot on a number of fronts. I hope to be able to capitalize on this success in the coming year, and I now know it will take a sharp focus.