My personal-finance journal and idea clearinghouse.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Notes to Self: Money Review

I'll still read personal-finance magazines after my current subscription runs out, but I won't be renewing until they get significantly better. Money remains the best of a weak lot, in my opinion, but I don't think it's even worth the $10 yearly fee when I can usually dig up a copy free or simply read what I want online.

Points for follow-up:
- Check out Realsimple.com and determine whether I want to get a free issue (ad).

- Investigate 529's and Coverdells. I've been saving for college, but my plan has been haphazard.

- Check out National Public Lands Day.

- Clip home-repair section starting on page 65. This could come in handy with our imminent home purchase.

- Simplify: Step 1. Know expenses .... Step 2. Start with small changes .... Step 3. Think through purchases ..... The latter point will be the most difficult for me, as I tend to buy things I need on impulse without really learning about quality and price.